Senior Section Fact Sheet
Senior Section Factsheet
KICS Seniors Student Body*
• 188 students; 83 girls and 105 boys
• 34 different nationalities
• 15 different languages spoken
• Average class size of 11 students
• Overall teacher to student ratio of 1:6
*Numbers as of September 2015.
The School Day and Vacations
• The school operates a two week timetable, Week 1 and Week 2. This means that lessons are scheduled over a 10 day period.
• School starts at 7.50am with Homeroom and registration; subject classes start at 8.00am and finish at 2.30pm.
• Extracurricular activities and sports fixtures take place each day until 3.30pm or sometimes 5.00pm.
• The school day consists of five 60-minute lessons, first break is from 10.10-10.25am and lunch is from 11.25am-12.25pm.
• The weekend in Khartoum is Friday and Saturday.
• The school runs two semesters per academic year; August-December and January-May. Please click here for the latest school calendar.
• IB Diploma and IGCSE students should note that some external examinations take place on holidays and weekends; more details are available from the IB Diploma Coordinator.
• All subjects are taught by suitably qualified subject specialist teachers representing 12 nationalities and 6 languages.
• In addition to specialist teachers, KICS has professional staff for Learning Support, English as an Additional Language Support, College Counselling and Guidance Counselling.
• Each student has a Homeroom Tutor who is responsible for monitoring his or her overall well-being; this includes attendance, academic performance and pastoral support.
• There is a school nurse on site during the school day and for all sporting activities.
• On average, teaching staff remain at KICS for 3-4 years.
• KICS is an International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme authorized school; all students in Years 12 and 13 take the IB Diploma.
• Students in Years 7-11 follow an inquiry-based curriculum that culminates in examinations for International Certificates in Secondary Education (IGCSEs).
For further information about life in the Senior Section, please refer to the Senior Section Parent-Student Handbook